Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Teen Famine

Over the last 27.5hrs the teens from church (and myself) have been participating in the 30hr famine. I had done it years ago and don't have too many memories about it but it hasn't been too bad, I guess.

I do feel a little fatigue but I'm not sure if it's due to lack of food or lack of sleep or maybe a combination thereof. Actually, I am starting to get a headache and hopefully drinking water will help.

I know the point of the famine is to help us be more aware of the situation for those who can't afford or have means for food. Thankfully organizations like World Vision are helping out with this need. I think with participating in this it has opened my eyes to the side effects of not eating, aside from hunger that is. And even though we've been able to access to water, juice and, for extreme measures, rice it amazes me all that I've gone through in the last 30hrs.

At the beginning of it, it obviously wasn't so bad and if I had a hunger pain I would just wash it down with a glass of H20. However, overnight I've gotten a sore throat, cramping in my stomach and irritability (but the latter was due to people waking me up more than anything). I guess it just makes me more aware of the conditions that those who are without to have a combination of side effects aside from hunger. And actually, now that I think of it, I know that Peter, our Youth Minister, experiences way more side effects than what I've listed. He mentioned that he has vomited and was close to being sent to the hospital.

Can you imagine what those in 3rd world countries go through everyday? We have the advantage and goal set before us that our struggle will end. When will theirs? What will it take for us to help?

No comments:

Post a Comment