Monday, May 11, 2009

Dogs

I've come to a conclusion tonight. I'm really not a fan of dogs. Gasp! Trust me, I've tried. Well, I shouldn't say I don't like all of them because there is one dog that I truly love but I also think he's part human. I think that technically excuses him but aside from that....I really cannot get into them.

I don't like it when dogs sniff your crotch or pee on the floor when you enter a house. I'm not a crazy fan of them jumping up on me either. I know the Bible says we should greet one another with a holy kiss but I think this is getting a little out of hand! I definitely don't like it when they slobber on me. And I don't just mean a little saliva but stuff that looks like snot that was just wiped across your pants. Gross!! I just had that happen to me tonight and I almost puked.

I've also had a dog attack me when I was a kid. It was hallowe'en and he was so excited that all these kids kept coming to the door ringing the door bell and screaming. I just happen to be the lucky one that was attacked (seriously - no exaggeration) on my way back to the sidewalk to join my friends. He got loose, ran out and was scratching at my back and such. No stitches necessary but the owners did see to my wounds. I've had a few dogs chew my shoes to the point where they were unsalvigable (?), chew bags, computer wires and earphones. They've even made me cry. I'll share the crying story when I share another house sitting experience I had last summer.

Now, I would really like to like them....honestly....but am I the ONLY one that has had these experiences? I'm sure I haven't but it blows me away that people actually want to invest in these creatures that do these sorts of things to us. I guess I haven't had the experience to truly say he's man's best friend.

One thing I do need to add to all you dog lovers or dog owners especially. My one request for the sake of those that don't have good luck with them.... If someone like myself visits your residence ...could I please request that you help them from jumping on people?! If you know they do that then it would help people like myself that really don't know how to act around dogs to keep me from crying or something. I had an experience tonight where the owner held the dog by the collar to keep him from jumping but then he persisted. It only makes sense to me that if he keeps doing it and isn't listening then your words mean nothing. Then I was walking up a flight of stairs and he ran in front of me to be a few steps ahead to jump on me again. Now he was in my face and I felt like he was going to head butt me or jump over me. Again, for people like myself that dont have the best of luck with dogs or dont know what to do with them it can cause some anxiety. Seriously! It would be like someone being around a child and not knowing what to do when they are crying uncontrollably. You just dont know what to do.

So, this is my vent for the day and I'm sure I could go on but I might've offended dog lovers around.

2 comments:

  1. I am with you 100% ... again! Dogs are lots of work, do things you really can't discipline them for and destroy stuff that they have no idea the value of..... Sydney's new leather bible that was given to her as a gift just the day before!

    Dog slober is the WORST and has cause me to gag a few times. Thank God for dog lovers...otherwise these creatures would have no "best friend."

    I hear you girl. Sorry for your anxiety laiden experiences. I remember the Halloween experince. I was scared out of my mind and felt so bad for you.

    Love you tons.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like to think that i am one of those animal lovers who are conscience of others that potentially don't appreciate my animals as i do...that said, i think it's only respectful for animal owners to lock away 'problem' animals when they have company at their house. when company comes to my house, i put my dog in his kennel - i know he would never hurt someone we let in, but he is young and hyper and sheds and wants to play with anyone that will give him the time of day...and i know some people can't tolerate that...and that's cool with me.
    as much as i love animals, it will always annoy me if i go over to someone's house and their dog thinks he can have his way with my leg...NOT cool!
    but know this...if you ever come to my house, rest assured that the dog will be locked up, the cat will run and hide under the couch and the birds, if they hear the door open, will scream for attention for a few minutes...but then you won't hear them...hardly :)

    ReplyDelete