Monday, March 23, 2009

The Crisis that isn't the Mid-life Crisis

So, just over a week ago I was 'let go' from my job. As much as I was expecting this to happen, it still came as a bit of a shock since I thought I was in the clear. You see, I was hired for a position at a Design Co. that needed me to take furniture inventory for a big Oil n Gas co. Since the economy is in a downward spiral they decided they didn't need my services any longer....hence the 'pink slip'.

Of course, it really isn't a pink slip but rather a letter asking you to sign on the line accepting that you're position has been terminated. Gee, that's encouraging. It's like saying, 'Ok, I'll sign here accepting that I won't be getting any more money from you and don't have a clue as to how I will make my rent. So ya,....here's my autograph!' On the flip side though it is saying that I accept to sleep in on weekdays and do a little socializing until I find my new calling too.

In some ways it was a relief and I'm actually doing quite well since it was weighing heavily on my mind. Talk around the office was so high that people were actually NOT even talking anymore. It was sort of like a morgue anyway since about 3 people had already cleaned out their desks over the past week and a half.

Now I have the wonderful task of trying to find a job, what I want to be when I grow up, what I'm good at, what I'm good for and am contemplating my purpose. I didn't really think that a little piece of paper could do that to me but I guess it's 'that time'. I would like to try to find something with meaning and purpose since most of my time outside of work is spent helping others. I do have an interview tomorrow with a Tile company that my friend told me about and its something I would enjoy. I'll keep you posted.

If I truly had guts I'd apply for the photography position on a cruise ship I was looking at the other day when surfing. Or I could do what John and Angie did and pick olives in Italy. Oh how I would love to do that....but then reality kicks in and car payments. Oh the taste of Italy is so sweet......

5 comments:

  1. i feel for ya...the last oil company i worked for did major layoffs and the mood around the office was tense cuz everybody knew it was coming but were unsure if they were leaving or not!
    anyways, way can't you move to italy! even for a year or two...you don't have a husband or kids holding you back...may not be the best time to try and sell your car...but still, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, sorry, i meant to say why can't you move?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I post a comment? Hope

    Look at that I can! Don't move away!!! Unless of course you want to and that would be fun and fulfill your purpose. Apply for that photography job and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw go for the cruise ship job! What the heck have you got to lose? Live on the edge! Aren't I a ton of help? Hope everything you are looking for comes to fruition. Love you much.

    ReplyDelete