Sunday, March 29, 2009

House Sitting Story #1

Aside from the Interior Design experience, education and things I've accomplised listed on my resume I think I should add a section for the, now, expertise of house sitting. To follow in line with my gypsy-like character of every changing jobs and home I have had the opportunity to look after many a home over the last few years. To which this past year being the year of all years to brighten up or fine tune my skills of what is all required of someone when asked to look after a home.

When I was young and naive about the role I thought it was a fantastic place to be. Who would not want to 'look after' a house and be paid for it?? I mean, really, the house just sits there and you just live your life in another setting for a short period of time. Oh my, was I EVER wrong.

Over a year ago I had just gotten back from a wonderful cruise with memories that will last a lifetime and offered to help Terry and Muriel Harkness while they went away on a trip of their own. At that point I was so glad to be able to help someone else so they can enjoy a trip like the one I just had so by all means....go! The first week went 'as per usual' and life was fine except for the terrible white stuff on the ground and the minus temperature's that make your nose hairs freeze but that's just out of anyone's control so just get used to it. Then......sigh.....it almost brings back tears just opening up this vault that has been closed for so long.

Then - one night I was arriving home from somewhere and the room to which I was residing in was located in the walkout basement. I do remember it was a workday because I had been gone since the morning and when you set your eyes on what I was about to experience every minute counts and retracking my steps is ever so important. So, I figure I have been gone for at least half a day (if memory serves me correctly) and when I had taken my last step and landed on the ground floor fear and trembling swept over me. Along with a rush of FREEZING water. Panic set in, socks were wet and almost my pants at one point!!

I had made a quick call to Jeff (their son-in-law) who just so happened to be in the area at the time and came over to help. Thank goodness!! Since the thermometer had reached minus 'insane' weather one of the water pipes to the house had frozen and cracked and the remaining water being pumped into the pipe was now all over the basement floor. With our socks and shoes off, and pants rolled up Jeff and I moved couches, tables, cabinets, carpets, and underlay. We swept, shoveled and pushed, that's right PUSHED water and ripped out baseboards. I would honestly say we were in a few inches of water that was covering our bare feet and to remind you again....it was freezing. We had to take breaks once in a while to let our feet thaw out while the other would push water down the drain located in the back room.

Once half of the basement floor was exposed we could still see that the water wasn't diminishing from underneath one of the walls which was when Jeff had to rip up the baseboards to see why the water was literally streaming into the house. He then realized it was the hoseline outside or the pipe to the underground sprinkler system (I can't remember which but at this point its all the same thing) that was causing the grief and turned off the line to the outside.

I was so thankful that Jeff was there to not only show me what to do in a crisis situation but also to show me where the shut-off valve was to the waterline. For some reason, I knew I would have to have that tidbit of knowledge in the future.

Lessons to be learned: Turn off your hoseline in the fall before winter comes when living in Calgary, know where the shutoff valve is for the waterline and always bring a pair of rubber boots to someone's house when house sitting. I still haven't learned that lesson yet which I should've by now! You'll see when the stories continue.


To be continued.......

1 comment:

  1. Oooh! I can't wait, what am I #4? At least I have my birthday post! lol

    ReplyDelete