Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Living in the moment

Currently I'm reading a book called Chasing Daylight by Eugene O'Kelly. He was the CEO of a company in the states called KPMG, however, was diagnosed with brain cancer leaving him only a few months to live (if that). Upon his diagnosis he started writing this book which transformed his life experience through his dying days. I find it quite entriguing and want to share with you a portion of it that I feel so strongly about and to which I feel I'm starting to notice in myself and long to strive for.

'I had always been a great believer in commitment, in every aspect of life that mattered to me. Total commitment to marriage, to family, to country, to coworkers, etc. To me, commitment equaled sacrifice, maturity, morality, certainty - virtues all at least to me. Unfortunately, though, commmitment, particularly in the business world, had come to equal time. Too often, your commitment was routinely measured by how many hours you were willing to work. By how much time you would take from your family. By how many years you were willing to live elsewhere,.... If you gave away huge amounts of your time, then it followed that you exhibited commitment. If you did not give so much time, then by definition your level of commitment was suspect.

.....I had come to wonder about the true nature of commitment. In fact, it's NOT about time. It's not about reliability and predictability. Commitment is about depth. It's about effort. It's about passion. It's about wanting to be in a certain place, and not somewhere else. Of course time is involved......But commitment is best measured not by the TIME one is willing to give up but, more accurately, by the energy one wants to PUT IN, by how present one is.'

How true these words are and how I hope for or long for that type of commitment that isn't just about time but rather about the depth and involvement I put into something!! I find that I run so much at lightning speed to get all that I need to get done in one day and, really, I need to ask myself....How much of what I'm doing is full of passion? How much commitment am I giving this (or that)?

I want a depth to run to my core and a passion that oozes out of me. I want a commitment that is through me to the point that my cup runneth over! What do I mean when I talk about commitment? I mean, anything I do on a daily basis. My devotion to God. My singing and praises to Him. My prayer life....oh yes, my prayer life. My commitment to my job and the tasks at hand. I want to 'work at it with all of my heart' (Colossians 3:23). And most of all, being an example or ambassador for Him who calls us.

The thing is, God only asks us for today. To not worry about tomorrow and not let ourselves be victims of the past. Just today. That's all.

God doesn't call the qualified. He qualifies the called.

Be intentional.

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh! i read this book a few months ago and loved it! well, not the fact that he died, but the lessons he learned and how he applied them to spending 'the moment' with close friends and family...tragically beautiful.

    this is a good post...well written...i think you're getting the hang of this 'blogging' thing, haha :)

    ReplyDelete