Thursday, July 30, 2009

Singing with the neighbours

Today my job was to paint a garage door and the happenings of the day made me feel like this story should be in the movie 'The Truman Show'. Let me try to 'paint' this picture for you (no punn intended)

It's a beautiful sunny day, few clouds in the sky, slight breeze passes by once in a while. I'm in suburbia (?), the green grass is freshly cut, flowers are out, no mosquitoes about, and its quite peaceful with no sound of traffic or fast cars. There I stand in the driveway painting away and the neighbour kid (he was probably late teens/early 20's) and he decides he needs to clean his car. He flips on the radio just about the same time the neighbour across the street flips his radio on. It happens to be the exact same radio station and I thought it strange that both came on at the same time so I turned my head about and questioned whether it was just the radio next door with the sound bouncing off of the houses across the street. It was THAT quiet in the area.

Anyway, I shrug my shoulders to where the sound was coming from and enjoy the music. The neighbour kid next door starts taking out his floor mats and going about his business and all of us seem to be just enjoying the day. The radio then starts playing one of my favourite songs and when I love a song its hard for me not to keep from singing. So, I start bobbing my head and humming quietly so no one else hears me but I can still enjoy the song. Of course, the chorus starts belting out and I can't control myself any longer and start piping out the chords. I don't care at this point because I like the song and heck....with the scenario above how could I not enjoy the day with a song. It's like a cherry on top of a sundae!!

The part where I felt like I was in the Truman Show was when by the second time the chorus came on the neighbour kid starts singing as well and we're both just doing our thing, not looking at each other but just enjoying each other sing.

Does that really happen? Did that just happen today? It was a fun day and I thought that only happened in movies. Guess crazier things have happened.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you were momentarily suspended in a parallel universe!

    ReplyDelete