Wednesday, June 3, 2009

House Sitting Story #2

It was about a year ago at this time that I encountered my next house sitting disaster experience. I hadn't house sat since my winter wonderland escapade and I thought that since it was the summer time I was in the free and clear of frozen pipes and ice cold water-damaged basements. Well, guaranteed there were no frozen pipes but a house sitting disaster did await me!

I thought that since I had a number of house sitting jobs and one frozen water pipe under my belt I was doing pretty good and the last experience was a 'once-in-a-lifetime' so I shrugged it off my back. Tsk! Tsk! Tsk! Says Karma or whatever darkcloud that was about to loom over my head!

My house sitting responsibilities also included taking care of the Hildebrandt's dog Max. Now, I don't know what kind of dog he was and forgive my ignorance but as you know from two postings ago, I'm not crazy about dogs so for me to actually KNOW what type of dog he was would be an amazing feat. Just be glad I have the gender correct. Of course the name sort of gives it away!

Now, I've been over the Hildebrandt's house numerous times so for me to look after Max, get the mail and sleep there was no biggie. Max was just another member of the Hildebrandt's and it was the least I could do for them as they travelled to Vancouver Island for a few day get-away. How hard could looking after a dog be. Mind you, Max was blind so he needed a little help up a flight of stairs and things like that but still....no biggie.

Well, I guess the Hild's hadn't been away from him since he had gone blind so he was a little distraught with not knowing (or seeing) where his family had gone. I think 'distraught' is a little understated considering the next few days I had with him. My job was to let Max out in the morning before work (7am) and again when I got home about 5pm. At that time I was typically working late so I made sure I was home in time to let him out of his kennel.

The first evening I got there he had 'messed' in the kennel and I figured that I was just late and he couldn't hold it any longer. Tsk! Tsk! On me! However, when it happened the next day,.....and the next day I was getting a little frustrated given that I was leaving work early to MAKE SURE I was getting home in time. I then realized that he was more just upset because his family had gone but continually I had to rush home and get him out of his kennel even though he had made a mess in it and didn't need outside. Well, Max needed outside but it was more to hose him down from sitting in his own mess all day.

I say 'mess' cuz its better than the alternative but more, also, out of respect for Max. Even though he did pass away a couple months ago. RIP Max.

Finally about the 4th day of me having to hose down Max, his kennel, mop the floor because the pathway from his kennel to the backdoor left a nice treadmark and drippings I was getting worked up myself. I finally caved when I was in the backyard with Max cleaning out his kennel and I stepped on a bee. I started screaming and crying because each day seemed worse then the last and didn't think looking after a dog would be SO hard! So, I ran into the house a mess with crap on me, a stinger in my foot, and to top it off I scared Max something awful so he was outback crying himself. We were just two crazy messes and nothing to show for it but crap on ourselves.

The Hild's didn't have the best holiday either since Susan had hurt her back and was laid up in a hotel room (instead of camping which was the initial intent...haha...get it....'in tent'.....just thought of that). Anyway, it was a trip that is worth remembering....sort of....and on my list of experiences I wish to not endure again.

2 comments:

  1. It's unforgettable to me too and I wasn't even there!!
    Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a hot mess you are :)

    and for the record, just cuz an animal has a 'girl' name or a 'boy' name, doesn't automatically mean they are a 'girl' or a 'boy'...or maybe that's just me.....

    ReplyDelete