Thursday, August 27, 2009

Being 'wrong' or just being different.

Is anyone open to change? Do we all have to have the same glasses on? Why is it that when someone does some thing, says some thing, sings some thing, etc, why is it considered 'wrong'? Why do we think it is wrong when really all it is is doing something different to what we are used to?

I remember when I was in Gr 4 and there was a new teacher for one of my classes. She wasn't your average teacher in how she taught; granted she looked the part but her style or mannerisms were different than what we, as students, were used to. I think it might have been one of the first days in September and we sat down in our desks and one of the front desks was open so she took an opportunity to sit down on the desk part and threw her legs up on the chair part. Now, that doesn't seem too out of the ordinary but it was more the way she conducted herself that sort of threw up 9yr olds off. You see, she was wearing a long flowing skirt and when she sat on the desk she placed her hands between her legs but since the skirt was so big its not like you could see anything. Was it very ladylike? Not really but I think she was trying to make us feel like it can be a comfortable environment to be in and have a different view on the way a lesson is taught.

It wasn't until a few weeks, maybe not even that someone else replaced the teacher and I honestly think, looking back now, that it had to do with people commenting on her teaching style. Was she let go? Maybe I shouldn't associate her leaving with teaching style but I do remember it being the talk of the school.

Looking back I would say that she was just going against the grain but it wasn't to offend but just to look at school or learning through different glasses. Now that I'm older I would probably have liked her style because she wanted to put a personal touch on how we are taught.

So, why do we get our nose so out of joint when we experience some thing we aren't used to or its done a different way than how we're used to it being done?? I can understand if it isn't in our comfort zone but the thing that I would challenge you, me, us, we, people on is to NOT say that its wrong....It's JUST different. Nothing wrong with different as long as the message is still the same but the delivery shouldn't put out of joint so much.

Of course, I might get some one who will challenge me on this and that's fine. I am referring to a specific incident that happened recently without getting too specific and rather taking to a more generic level but ....you get my point.

2 comments:

  1. Man, you've been busy writing. Where have I been? Lots to catch up on!

    ReplyDelete