Monday, April 13, 2009

Remembering my dad

Today I am thinking about my dad. Since 14 yrs ago and now forever more I will remember him on this day. Actually I will remember 3 people on this day. Aside from my dad, I will remember the Rubel family as well since Diane Rubel passed away today and a celebration of my friend Melanie who's birthday is today.

On April 13th, 1995 was my dad's last day on earth and his first day in heaven. I remember it more in celebration than in sorrow or pity. I think of his past and how his life affected others and what he hasn't seen since his passing. Overall, I'm proud of my dad. He was a great man and I wish all my friends had gotten a chance to know him.

My dad's first introduction to church and to God was from an early age and under unsuspecting circumstances. Him and some friends used to live on Rido street in Toronto during the Depression era and named themselves the Rido Rats. One day they were throwing rocks at an elderly ladies house when they broke a window. One of the neighbours Mr. Whitehead, caught them in the act and told them they had to choose between paying for the window they had just broken or go to church camp, to which Mr Whitehead would pay their way. Obviously the boys agreed to go to camp and from then on it changed their lives forever. Those 4 boys later all became preachers, that being, Murray Hammond, Joe Cannon (mainly a missionary in Japan), Keith Thomson and my apologies on forgetting the other preacher's name.

My dad also went to Harding for one semester but had to return to Canada after being diagnosed with Tuberculosis and ended up in the London, Ont hospital for 3 years. During that time he was a witness to the nurses around him and fellow bedmates. I know one of the nurses became a Christian and also aided in the beginning of the London Church of Christ.

My father has preached across the country, from Vancouver, BC to Winnipeg to Toronto and finally Windsor, Ont where my siblings and I grew up. I never saw my dad preach though since his health was declining and had to quit when I was 5yrs old. Apparently he was a fantastic speaker and people have commented on his sermons for many years. He used to tell me that he would put a certs in his mouth before he started his sermon and when the certs was done....so was he. It's so encouraging to hear about how my father was so helpful to others or performed their weddings or baptized them or how he used to play jokes all the time.

While my dad was laying in the hospital for the last time our family was also working on compiling some of his sermons to put in a book which now sits on my bookshelf. I'm glad I have a piece of his past and influence a part of who I am today.

I do miss my dad but I think I miss more of the memories I've created since his passing. I wish that we could have talks together and that I could ask his advice on things or what to do in certain circumstances. Either way, I know he'd be proud and I'm so thankful to have had him in my life.

Thanks Dad! I'll always remember holding your hand one last time and watching you slip away into our Father's hands. You're at peace and without pain. See you.

2 comments:

  1. awwww, that was so sweet, i'm a little teary! how awesome is it that you have a compilation of his sermons that you can read and reflect on whenever you want! cherish those memories until you can be reunited with him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you shared that! I was thinking of you this weekend! Hope

    ReplyDelete