Monday, February 8, 2010

0 - 22 in a flash

I've decided. After this past weekend I've decided that I really don't think I should have children. As my last post stated I spent this past weekend with the teens from our church. I feel like myself and the 3 other leaders birthed 22 teens in a matter of seconds. I went from being single in one moment to being responsible or being a somewhat caregiver to a bunch of hormone raging youth in the next.

We went to Pine Lake Camp and since there weren't too many of us we all stayed in the main building. We had a lot of fun on the weekend hanging out, singing, building igloos and creating memories (good and not so good). I had the opportunity to bond with some of the girls but overall get to know everyone on a different level.

At first I was a little hesitant to go because I was afraid of all the screaming and what the boys had in mind. It amazes me what they can come up with to do for fun. I guess it doesn't matter how secluded the environment is that you put them in, they will find a way to entertain themselves. I find it weird too that the boys will have a screaming contest....just for the heck of it. Weird but funny. There was one moment when I was sitting in the mess hall and one of the boys ran up to me and asked if I could watch him. What him do what? He said he was jumping off the balcony outside into a pile of snow. Eeek!! I'm so glad no one hurt themself!

Aside from the boys doing things they shouldn't be doing there was also the element of girls liking boys and boys checking out girls. In some ways I felt like I had to sleep with one eye open for fear of some of them sneaking off somewhere.

Oy! These are just some of the reasons why I don't think I should have children. I feel like I would be worried too much about what they are doing or aren't doing. I couldn't imagine being a parent because the anxiety and stress of it all would kill me. Of course, I'm saying this from the perspective of going from singledom to a teenage parent in lightspeed. You parents have at least 9 months to prepare for what is to come and spend the rest of your life adjusting to.

God bless you parents. The weekend was good and I'm glad for the memories.

2 comments: