Friday, February 5, 2010

Pre-Fire n Ice

This weekend I'm scheduled to go to the annual Teen Fire n Ice at Pine Lake Christian Camp. I've never been to this type of function so I'm not really sure what to expect. Well, I'm anticipating a bunch of screaming hyper-active teens who plan to stay up till all hours of the night while I might possibly be crying in a corner wishing I were sleeping (with one eye open of course).

Actually, this is my first year volunteering with the Ignite group and it's been better than I expected (no offence). I was expecting that I'd be quite annoyed with the craziness that happens but surprisingly (on my end) I have taken it with stride. Of course, there is the loud screaming and running around and insane personalities, that's a given but I'm more calm about it then originally thought.

If anything, I'm desiring to build relationships with these teens. There are some girls I've connected with already and it's been great. I just know that I'd like to be there for them if they need someone to talk to. If they don't want to talk with their parents or some other 'higher power' (ie. teachers, etc) in their life then I would hope that they could come to me.

Another thing which I find of great importance is that I hope these kids will continue their relationship with God and feel connected in our church once they move on from Ignite. I'm finding all too frequently that once they have graduated it's like they've been telaported (?)out of the church as well. Where have they gone?

Where have you gone young people? You are a part of our congregation. You matter. It may not seem like it but you do. We've probably let you down and that is our own mistake and I hope that we can do better for the next group of kids.

I hope that whoever reads this will take to heart these concerns that not only I have. May you be challenged to take that moment and encourage one of our young adults and make them feel welcome and a part of our church history.

1 comment:

  1. I am SURE you are a huge blessing to the teens, Becky!

    Jeff and I, also, feel burdened by the amount of young people that leave the church after high school years. That's one reason why we were eager to help with the young adults small group. So- in case any of you are reading this- come to our small group! It's an awesome group of people and we would love to have more!

    ReplyDelete