Thursday, February 11, 2010

Inglewood Murder

***Warning*** Some of the things mentioned in this post may be graphic for the viewing audience.

The other night I was driving home around 830pm and as I was about to turn into my neighbourhood, I saw a police car with flashing lights blocking the road I needed to turn onto to get to my place. I had no idea what was going on and didn't want to ask any questions so I turned around and went around the back way to get to my condo. When I was in my place I could look out my bedroom window or go out onto my balcony and look at the 4 cop cars surrounding the place as well as the two mini-vans. They also had a portion of the street blocked off with police tape. I did go out on my balcony at one point to get a better view but could hear the police chatting about something but since I didn't want to eavesdrop so I went back inside. I still had no idea what was going on but thought they were just surrounding a house that had drugs or something. Who knows!

Since all of this was happening and didn't seem to be going away I went to bed but woke up at 4am to see that they were still out there and by the morning the news crew had joined them. Now I was really curious as to what was going on. Since that time I've read the newspapers and checked 660 News on the net to find out that there was a man who was brutally beaten up and later died in the hospital from a cardiac arrest (including the beating as well). It is believed that he was in his mid-30's.

As much as you hear stories like this and may not even give it a second thought I think since this one hits so close to home for me (literally) it has been on my mind alot. The street I live on isn't a busy street and with the facts given I've been throwing different scenarios in my mind of how the events took place. I think I can visualize it pretty well since I used to walk that path on my way to the bus stop when I worked at Black's Photography. At first I thought they most likely knew each other and the altercation just got out of hand. Either way, that's not the case. This was just a random incident involving two strangers.

Was the victim just taking a walk? I would probably think so since there isn't much around the neighbourhood unless he was going to the local convenience store. The poor guy had no idea that he was walking into his own death. Did the person committing the act do this for gang related initiations? Did he hide behind that big blue truck that has a bumper sticker in the window that says, 'I raised my truck cause fat chics can't climb.'? Yes, I am all too familiar with this area and so it won't leave my mind.

When I had first heard about what had happened the reports stated that he had some lacerations on his face and died later from a cardiac arrest. In my mind I was envisioning a few cuts on his face but the shock of the beating that took place caused the heart attack and death. Now, the papers are saying that he was cut so badly that police and other investigators are unable to recognize the man! They are now having to refer to dental records for the identification of the victim since no ID was found on him. Seriously?! To envision someone, pretty much, without a face is baffeling.

The newspaper stated today that the murderer just moved here from Red Deer and has 3 children! What?! What in the world would prompt anyone to commit such a horrible crime? Is something in your life that terrible that you need to feel compelled to put someone else's timeline in your hands?

Anyway, since I drive by the scene of the crime at least twice a day this has been on my mind. My heart goes out to the victim and his family. Such a tragedy for both the victim, their families and the young father of 3 who may regret this for the rest of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment