Monday, September 14, 2009

Church #2 - Family

As I mentioned in my first post on Church, I said that it was just a building. Of course, as I've grown up and have gotten older and wiser I understand that it isn't that at all. The church I attend is my second family. It's all about family. Whether you have one, have one but don't feel connected to them or don't have one at all, I'm so glad God had created family in His Church.

Before I even knew it or appreciated the concept of it I was a part of this family. Whether it was in the Windsor Church where I grew up or here in Calgary where I have lived for the past decade. The week before I was leaving to come here the church in Windsor had a good-bye party for me and gave me the luggage as a gift, which, I still use today. I find it so intriguing now because at the time I had NO idea what I was getting into or understood this huge move I was making but it was one of the best decisions I made.

The church in Windsor supported my decision to move and blessed me with their prayers and rejoicing. And before I even knew it, I was welcomed here in Calgary. I had a little bit of a bumpy ride my first month or so here but if it wasn't for this Church family here I don't know if I would've survived.

I don't have immediate or blood family at this congregation and the closest ones are 3hrs away. But, definitely the Church here in Calgary is my family and I don't know what I would do without them. The members make me feel welcome, loved and appreciated. I know I can count on them when I need it but also I know that I would be there for them when the chips are down or when we want to rejoice and give praise. They've also welcomed me back when I moved to BC and when things didn't turn out the way I (and everyone) hoped or expected, the congregation here was the one I clung to.

Most of the time I call the building my second home here in Calgary because I am there so much during any given week. In fact, I was seriously considering having my mail sent there since that is the only thing constant in my life. I have moved 10 times in this last decade and in every quadrant of the city but the one thing constant in my life is the location of the building and my second home. Isn't that true of our relationship with God anyway?

The other day I was talking with someone who said they moved here 4 short years ago and has had to adjust to depending on herself and spending many hours, days and nights by herself. I asked how she did it because I don't know if I would've made it. Aside from the fact that I am a social person I think that we are built to be in contact with others on a constant basis. How do people do it without the Church?

Church is not a building. Church is family, a relationship, God-created, God-given and such a blessing in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment