Friday, September 25, 2009

Humility

Well, I guess I have more to say about this song from my last post. Again, I just can't seem to get enough of it. Years ago when I heard Mercy Me's song 'I Can Only Imagine' I didn't think another song could match the description of humility. I guess I was wrong.

I wish I could write music or poetry for that matter but alas all you readers will get is blabbering on a screen. I wish I could describe my faith, feelings, hope, amazement and grace into lyrics. The best way I praise God is through song and this song does it for me.

I love the way the writer describes how small we are in comparison to God with us being the shore and Him being the ocean. How vast is that? We are but a drop in the bucket of time and a tiny speck in all of creation yet He chooses to live in our hearts. How amazing! How humbling! How can we not fall to our knees with the power that He exudes and the glory that He is?

I know I keep saying 'humble' or 'humility'. I seem to use it as a blanket to cover a conglomerate of feelings. Well, what do I mean by that? I guess my definition of humility is knowing that although we mess up there's a God in heaven that continues to love us. I've had my share of mess ups and I guess if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be as humbled as I am. I know I wouldn't be. I feel honored that God in heaven, as wonderful as He is, some One that shines so bright we would be blinded by His Light cares enough to send His perfect Son to die so that our imperfect selves can be with Him. How can we not be humbled by that?

Moses was considered to be the most humble man and I don't think he got the title because he had a squeak-clean past. Some times it takes bumps in the road, some bigger more than others to help mold us into who God wants us to become. David was considered a 'man after His own heart'. He wrote wonderful poetry and was devoted to God but we all know his sketchy past as well.

I know I've said this line before but God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called. He takes all our experiences and we can use them for good - if we let Him. That's humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment