Sunday, January 17, 2010

Are you 'in' or 'out'?

In the last few weeks I've had an opportunity to converse with different people and at one point or another in our conversation the topic of 'fitting in' has come up. These people are of different gender from one another, different age groups and status (to some degree). By no means did I guide the conversation in any way to end up on that topic, I actually found it interesting that they've sort of fallen into that discussion. Two of the discussions happened even hours a part from one another but it sort of made me do some thinking (surprise, surprise).

Fitting in? How do I fit in? Where do I fit in and what role do I play when I do fit in? What constitutes me as fitting 'in' or not? Who says which category I belong to?

I may not have the answers to these questions and if I did I think I'd have to have a book dedicated to this topic. Actually, I find all these questions interesting, thought-provoking but also normal. I say normal because I think it is human nature for us to feel somewhat unsettled when it comes to feeling included or not. Everyone wants to feel welcome, loved, appreciated, etc. but we may have moments in our lives when we just aren't feeling it. So, why do we get like this? Personally, (and this is my blog so I'm entitled to my opinion) I think it has to do with two ingredients: insecurity and reassurance. Granted, these are blanket ingredients and I'm sure there are other factors concerning this topic but I'm speaking in general terms.

I believe that everyone has some level of insecurity whether its an ounce or a tonne, either way it still exists. I'm not saying it in a negative way but more of a factual way. There may be times when I can be oozing with confidence but then there are other times when I can be my own worst enemy. Some may say I appear confident because of my big smile or loud laugh but inside I may feel quite alone and separated from the people around me. Typically I'm a 'what you see is what you get' sort of gal so if happiness isn't pouring out of me, you'll probably know.

This is why we should NEVER judge our insides with someone's outsides. It just causes great distress when really you have no idea what they are feeling. And, you're basing your emotional state with their physical appearance which have no comparible relevance to each other in the least.

Reassurance is another factor in all this talk of 'fitting in'. Someone may be feeling quite alone in a room full of people but it could be that one person that encourages them with a warm hug or short conversation that will build them up. Everyone needs to feel loved and appreciated and its that sort of reassurance that brightens our day. Of course, some need it more than others just like our levels of insecurity can differentiate so can our levels of reassurance.

All that being said, I think everyone can agree that we've all been there. We've ALL felt fit in at times and not so much at other times but granted we've all been there. The thing is, when we don't feel fit in some where we feel like we're the ONLY ones that have felt that way or are feeling that way at the time. I'm sure there are many of us that feel that way we just don't express it. Does that make sense?? I'm slowly learning to teach myself that if ever I feel that way, I'm sure there are many others in the room that feel the exact same or maybe worse and as the old saying goes - 'this too shall pass.' Just remember, you're not alone.

Which reminds me of a scripture that Acappella put some music to. I mainly express myself through song and they just pop into my head but I guess it's a good way to remember scripture.

Romans 12:
10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.


I have the You Tube video attached so you can listen to the words and I hope they encourage you the way they have me. As much as we may not feel fit in all the time I think we need to lean more on God and His Word to encourage us and let us realize that He will be the One that fills the void in our lives. Also, if we are His church we should use our talents to the best of our abilities to build one another up.

I hope you are blessed as I have been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mf9giOuPc8&feature=PlayList&p=648034E3029782BC&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=35

1 comment:

  1. And I thought this was going to be an article on bellybuttons.

    Nicely written.

    Nicola

    ReplyDelete