Thursday, January 21, 2010

Haiti Benefit

Last night I went to a benefit concert to raise money for Haiti at Centre Street. I have to say, I commend the people that put it together on such short notice. Everything went smoothly and there were some artists there that I hadn't heard before and others that I was looking forward to seeing (Steve Bell). It was such a wonderful event to be a part of and to contribute to the disaster relief team Samaritan's Purse and Compassion Canada.

At the end a team from Compassion Canada spoke about the experience they had when they were there. Brent (forget his last name) said they had arrived an hour before the earthquake hit and thankfully they were on bus heading towards their hotel instead of in their hotel as it collapsed. Their bus also stopped right in front of the Canadian Embassy which allowed them free acceptance with no questions asked upon showing their Canadian Passport. In fact, with all the screaming and distruction going on around them as they entered the CE the person opening the gate for them said, 'Welcome to Canada'.

That story made me think of heaven and what Christ has done for us. We can be at the gate and all we need is to have Christ represent us and with no questions asked the gate is open and someone saying 'Welcome.' What a comforting feeling! I'm so thankful that Christ is my representative and I am but a mere ambassador. I hope and pray I do my job well.

The good news about last night too was that with all the donations we were able to raise $115, 000 and they weren't finished counting up all the money. There was also an organization (forget which one) said they would match it. Isn't that great!!

Yes, God was glorified last night and I pray that the Haitians know that they are thought of and God is with them.

2 comments:

  1. That's a really great analogy. It will be wonderful to just say, "I'm with Jesus", and be allowed through the gates!

    That "organization" is the Canadian Government. Another wonderful reason to be proud of this country.

    Nicola

    ReplyDelete
  2. was that Brent Trask who spoke?

    ReplyDelete