Sunday, December 13, 2009

If You Can't Sing, Sing Louder

That's what my brother used to say all the time; he also couldn't carry a note. However, his heart makes up for all the wrong keys he hits and I know the Lord loves him just the same.

This morning in Bible class we were looking at the passage of Psalm 148:13

Let them praise the name of the Lord, for his name alone is exalted; his splendor is above the earth and the heavens.

In our discussion we were talking about giving praises to God and the heart that we have when doing so. When singing praises to God our hearts need to be the focus of what we are singing more than hitting the right note. For those that can't sing, you can admit that you can't sing well but when you sing you will sing with all your heart. However, for those that can sing we should not focus on making sure we sound good to those around us for our hearts won't be centred on what the whole purpose of giving praise is all about.

In some ways, I think those that can't sing have the advantage than for those that can sing. Personally, I love to sing. I can sing all day long and I think possibly only twice in my life have I actually gotten tired of singing; one of the times we had been singing for a few hours in the girls dorm in high school.

However, I will also admit that there are times when I'm more focused on how I sound or who is around me that might hear me. In fact, ironically enough, someone handed me a note today during service time commenting on how beautiful I sounded. How nice was that?! I was flattered but then I was quickly reminded of the Bible lesson taught less than an hour before. Were my thoughts focused on the words I was singing rather than the notes? Was I truly giving honor and glory to God? Or was I focused more on 'sounding' good?

I will admit that a few years ago I purposely took myself off the praise team and singing up front because I felt my heart wasn't in the right place. I was centered more on my own satisfaction and gratification than using my gifts to give Him glory.

Like I said earlier, I love to sing but I also know that lately my heart is more centered on doing His will and savouring the words that float across my lips. I may not have complete 100% attention all the time on it but I would say that I've improved. But isn't that our goal? Improvement? We can't reach perfection but I will die trying.

Colossians 3:16, 17
Let the word of Christ dwell in your richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe people should just stop complimenting us!! LOL All joking aside though, I too have struggled with being on praise time for the right reasons. I'm hoping that the 5-year hiatus I have taken from it will allow me to start over in a sense and redirect my focus when I do return to PT. Maybe we can keep each other accountable as to why we're there every so often.

    ReplyDelete