Sunday, December 6, 2009

Lord I want to be Your servant

I was listening to this song tonight and was inspired to write a post. The song is sung by Acappella (Album: Acappella In His Presence) and titled Lord, I want to be Your servant.

I've actually used this song in a lesson I taught years ago at a Ladies Retreat and I'm sure most have heard or sung the song before. The entire song brings me great humility. At first I thought it was just the spoken prayer portion but if you live and breathe the words you will hopefully be moved as I have been. The penned words bring me to tears with the desire in my heart to serve the way He wants me to serve. I may not serve in a Christ-like manner at all times but thankfully I am reminded to strive to serve Him in some sort of fashion on a daily basis. Emphasis on strive. I may not succeed some days but by the grace of God the effort is there. Actually, its more the Holy Spirit working in me that fills me with this great desire for His will to be accomplished.

The portion of the song that pulls at my heart strings is the spoken prayer but really the whole song is my desire to serve Him continually.

Lord I want to be a servant
Giving all my praise to you
Giving all I have to please you Lord
My heart makes pure and true

Lord I want to be a servant
Bring me closer to your will
Father all I want is to serve you more
Make me worthy to serve you still

Spoken Prayer:
Words come slow
When it comes to expressing
My true feelings of humility
My heart's desire to serve
But Lord you've done so much for me through the cross
I just want to give my life, my love
And all my heart back to you
And under the shadow of the cross
Let me hide myself and all that would
Shout out your glory
And allow me to see you
To know who you really are
So that someone else
Can see you through me

I hope you took the time to actually read the words. Not just read them but press them into your heart like I have through mine. Oh, to have others look at us and see Him is such a beautiful picture and I pray that one day He will say to me, 'Well done, good and faithful servant.'


2 comments:

  1. This is such a great song and I especially love it sung by Acapella. Not that other versions don't, but Acapella always manages to hit me right where I need it with pretty much of all of their songs.

    Bec, you are a faithful servant and I so appreciate how you share this side of you and your more vulnerable side on this blog. Thanks my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever heard this song before! It makes me think about the "toilet water" communion talk that was given at our church this morning. Sometimes, I feel the best I have to give is just that- toilet water.

    I have often wondered how my life would look different if I followed the Lord completely- prayed for His will in every aspect of my life. I'm sure there is lots that would be different! I hope, though, that there is at least a little that He can look at and be proud of.

    I love your servant heart, Becky, and the way it blesses so many!

    ReplyDelete