Friday, December 25, 2009

The irony of God

Last night I participated in our annual Christmas Eve Service at the church I attend. I’ve been going to this service for as many years as I’ve been here given that I wasn’t spending it with family elsewhere. I was also singing on the praise team and briefly someone had mentioned to me how interesting it was to see so many people, many of whom do not regularly attend our Sunday morning service. Of course this is the time of year where many will cross the threshold of church doors that may not do so on a consistent basis.

Seeing all those around me that I may not have seen before got me to thinking….which is why I woke up earlier than expected and am typing this Christmas morning. Yes the presents are fun and I look forward to seeing kids faces light up when tearing open presents but the night before Christmas is just as, if not, more important. No, sorry correction, it is the whole point. Period.

During this time of year we remember, or are suppose to remember why we celebrate this thing called Christmas. Unfortunately, many may not remember or don’t even know why we do. I can only presume that some may know about some baby named Jesus and he was born in a manger. Now, granted, I would love to give people more credit for what they know about the events of Jesus life that have changed history. However, I have an inkling that many may not.

For example, a few years ago I was talking to a co-worker (at the time) and I was talking about Jesus and the crucifixion and his resurrection. I was saying that he died for us because he loves us, etc (I won’t go into detail because that isn’t the point I want to make right now). Then, this person stopped me and asked, ‘Wait. Did Jesus live when people were around?’

Pause. Huh?

There was no sarcasm or humor attached to that question. It was an honest question without knowledge behind it. Although shock didn’t appear on my face it was definitely bouncing about inside me. Maybe it was the Holy Spirit bursting to get out showing that ‘YES’ he was around when people existed and he wants to ‘exist’ in you too!

Anyway, with those types of events that have happened, I can only presume that this person is not the only one who has not connected the dots between Jesus the baby and Jesus the man who died on a cross.

To us though, God is ironic. He is not a King that wants us to die for him in martyrdom so we can have a higher place in heaven like some other religious practices. God is a King who desires to be with us, have a relationship with us and although we aren’t worthy enough to even be in His presence (not presents) He wants to dwell in our hearts. He desires this SO much that He sent His Son to leave heaven where the streets are made of gold to come and spend his first night on earth in a dirty, smelly barn and rest his head for the first time in some hay meant for horse food.

I think, unfortunately, we have heard this story so many times that it has become old-hat to us and the depth and richness of it has worn off. It may even sparkle like the manger did. That’s right. It didn’t sparkle.

The point of all of this is hope. There is hope that in the worst of places to rest your head a sweet child can be born. There is hope in the fact that this same child woud chose to die in the worst of places, ridiculed and spit on for our sake so we can spend eternity with Him.

It reminds me of a song and some of the lyrics go like this:

‘Love will find you at the bottom of a bottle
It will find you at its journeys end
It will find you when you beg and steal and borrow

So hold on,
Love will find you’

Yes, Love will find us. Because God is Love and He is our hope. God will be in the most ironic places. His is thunderous yet can be the whisper in your ear on a lonely night.

He’s closer than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment