Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Volunteering at church

For the past few weeks I've been painting at the church building but amidst all of that, another part of the renovation is that of tiling the main hallway and wings of the building. I haven't done too much in regards to tiling mainly because I've never done it before and it would be nice if it could look nice after all that hard work.

Tonight, however, was the last 'official' night that was scheduled for tiling and before returning the wetsaw, etc. I planned to just be there to continue my painting which seems to be taking forever but I'm waiting for the tiling to be done since I have to redo some of my work due to splattered thinset and the like. Since there weren't too many helpers tonight and we were pressed for time I decided to put away my paint brush and help with the baseboards.

I have to say, I've been there amongst the men working away but have to admit that one night I had to leave because there was just too much testosterone for my liking. I was a tad outnumbered and didn't want to get in their way but tonight was manageable and quite fun actually. One person that really stood out to me was Chris Brown (not the singer but the one that attends our church...haha). He has been there every night that they were tiling. When he laid his first tile at the building he said to me that he'd only tiled walls before. Well, let me say, that man has laid more tile in the past couple weeks than I probably will in a lifetime. Also, he is funny!!! Maybe its the accent but man he's just a happy, all around good guy. Well done Chris. If anyone is reading this I strongly suggest you pat him on the shoulder and give him kudos to a job well done.

The other thing that has been impressed or pressed (not sure which one) in my mind is that of the Almighty Crack! That's right, the vertical smile. I've never seen so much crack in all my life. I felt like taking pencils and sticking them where the sun don't shine since people kept asking for a pencil and I found the perfect pencil holder! I'm not proud to say this but I've seen a side of some men that I wish to never see again.

Overall, its been a good experience and I can't wait to be done the painting ....as long as they don't muck up the walls after they finish the floor!!

5 comments:

  1. I was only there for a tenth of the time you were and saw quite a bit of crack myself! Too funny! The color of the walls is awesome - I think there is a hint of pink in there somewhere. :-) It looks great!
    Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will be NO comments about any pink color that may come through. If you see it pretend it isn't there and please don't mention it to me!!! haha And yes! I will say no to crack, especially that kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is too funny!!!! Yes Chris Brown is amazing and I think that you can chalk it up to his accent! Now for the crack....we all have one, it's just that we never see that side (you could say)!!!! You have done a great job on getting the building updated - thank you for all your hard work.

    Gerri

    ReplyDelete
  4. A phenomenal transformation ... and not just in the building!

    Amazing you would be posting on vertical crack of all things & the pink in the walls could only have been reflection from your face colour after viewing the aforesaid ...

    YOU ARE HILARIOUS & hardworking, too!!

    Bren

    ReplyDelete