Sunday, October 25, 2009

The attack of the walkers

Aside from the concern I have for my mom's health at the moment and running to and from the hospital I try to catch up on as much sleep as I can. Except for when I'm writing on my blog at 1am like right now.

The first chance I had to catch up on my sleep after my mom's surgery and spending the night at the hospital I decided to head back to her residence since I didn't think anyone would disturb me. Boy did I ever have that wrong. I crawled into bed around 10am or so and the first phone call I received was from the front desk. It seems sort of like a hotel; quite nice actually but you do have to sign in and out every time.

Anyway, so the front desk called asking if I would take some meds to the hospital the next time I head up there since the hospital didn't have a certain pill my mom takes. Fine. Hang up the phone, shut my eyes.

5 - 10 min later....

Next phone call is Dorothy from across the hall who has a card for my mom. Fine. I will pick it up later, shut my eyes.

5 min later......

Someone knocks on my mom's door and opens it (they have a key) and ask if my mom has any laundry for them to do. Aside from the disturbance it is pretty cool that they do your laundry too. I swear, if my mom doesn't make it back here I'm moving in!! Anyway, no she doesn't (I already did it), close my eyes again!

10 min later..... It is now 10:30ish and I just wanna get some sleeeeeeppp!!

The fire alarm goes off! What?! Are you serious?! My first thought was, 'Well, they've had this thing go off before and it wasn't anything so maybe if I just lay here it will turn off and all will be well.' I shut my eyes and try to ignore the ringing.

2 min later....

The ringing continues and I figure I better get up out of bed and see if there really is a fire. I start walking down the hall and realize that we need to evacuate the building as this is a fire drill. Now, remember, this is a seniors home so its not like everyone is rushing out the door. If this was a race I would've received 1st, 2nd and 3rd place!! I actually asked the staff if they needed help since they had to get everyone in their wheelchairs or walkers.

So there I stand in the middle of the parking lot with people slowly coming out of the building. Then I see it. Yes, the attack of the walkers. They all start coming out at once and I feel like I'm being invaded with all these elderly people with their 4-legged metal contraptions in front of them. It's not like I was going anywhere, especially since I had little to no sleep the night before but with all of them coming at me at once I felt like running.

After everyone was accounted for and no one was left in the building we were able to go back to our respective rooms. Sleep was waiting for me and there I lay laughing thinking about the events of the day and wondering how things like this tend to happen to me! And, it wasn't even noon yet.

1 comment:

  1. It's like an Alfred Hitchcock movie....I can just see all these older zombie-like people surrounding you with their walkers. It is a little funny. I'm sorry that your sleep kept getting interrupted. Hope you did, eventually, get to catch up!

    Still praying for your mama. Thank you for the updates!

    ReplyDelete