Friday, October 23, 2009

My mom's hospital stay....so far.

**Warning: This entry is not recommended for the sensitive stomachs.**

Yesterday my mom went in to the hospital for her knee surgery. Technically she needs both knees replaced but we are only doing one this year and then the other next year. Good thing she isn't a centipede!! Anyway, the concern we had that the doctors were preparing us for was the fact that the anesthetic coupled with her Alzheimer's may decrease her memory more significantly. Because of this, I decided to make the trip here which I'm so glad I did.

I took my mom to the hospital yesterday morning for 6am and she was in the OR by 930 and in recovery by 1130. During that time I had a cat nap myself and prepared to stay the night with her while my sister (Sara) stayed at the hospital before she woke up. Since she wasn't under anesthetic for too long thankfully she remembered us (which was the biggest concern). She has, however, been confused about a lot of things.

When I got back to the hospital my mom was in so much pain, which isn't nice to see at all! I hate seeing her in pain and wishing I could take some of it away. I asked the nurse if we could give her some medication, which they did but then it caused her to have low oxygen. I don't know much about oxygen levels, etc but the nurse said we should be above 90 and my mom was below 10!! She (my mom) also started to develop flehm and couldn't cough it up. The nurse called in the respiratory doc on staff and suggested to put her on an oxygen mask but that would mean we needed to take her off the pain medication.

I stayed with my mom all night and she was in so much pain and complaining about the brace on her leg. She was very confused, didn't know where she was, thought she was at her home, didn't know why her leg was sore and continually thought the oxygen mask was her glasses sliding down her face. On top of that she was trying to pull at her cathedor (?), etc which I'm not familiar with that stuff either so I wanted to leave things right where they belonged. If I had a dime for how many times I had to clarify to my mom that she had surgery on her knee and the mask on her face was for oxygen I wouldn't have to work for at least a year. I think she's just so confused with everything! I repeat, everything! In fact, this morning she thought she hadn't had the surgery yet at all!!

I was a little concerned last night, though when she was spitting up blood a bit, in her oxygen mask mind you. I was more ticked when the nurses would say they were on their way and continue to do their rounds. Now, like I said before, I'm not used to this environment and don't know proper procedures and I understand if there are things to do but when I'm seeing blood coming out of some where where it shouldn't be and she can't cough because she's too weak then I have a problem.

The worst part about it was the lady next to my mom who would have some bowl movements. Actually, that wasn't the worst part...well, its debateable but the lady could never make it to the washroom and left a trail behind her. Maybe the worst part about it was the rancide smell she left behind. I mean r-a-n-c-i-d-e. I don't know if that's how you spell it but that's the way it is coming out cuz I was beside myself. This alone made it to be a shitty experience. Pardon my language but that is the only word that can describe what the room was like. Thankfully I was able to leave for a half-hour or so because of it. The poor women in the room had to endure it all night. Needless to say, the first thing I did when I got home was take a shower and get myself clean!

I could go on but really no one needs to read any more. You get the jist of where my mom is at and it should be uphill from here on out. I'm tired and my head hurts from lack of sleep. Glad I made the trip out. Don't know how I'll pay some bills soon but I needed to make this trip.

Love you mom, get better soon.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Becky!!! I'm glad your mom is OK, but, there are no words to describe how much I am feeling for the both of you right now! I am so so sorry your mom is in so much pain and for the other complications. And I am SOOOO sorry about the smell. It's bad when it's someone in your own family, but 1000 times worse when it's not. Bless. I was thinking of you today because I finally went and bought a wallflower at Bath and Body. I wish you could come to my house because it smells good- at the moment. But that could change any second. Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! Thanks Erin. Trust me, I wish I could smell anyone else's place when that lady uses the washroom!!! haha I would bring an air freshener in there but I doubt you can in a hospital. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete