Monday, October 26, 2009

The characters in Room 606

Ah yes, I'm going to make light of the situation where my mom is at the current moment. Since I sit in the hospital 8 - 10 hrs a day and if I don't bring some humor to the situation I would go stir crazy. Let me introduce you to the people that my mom is staying with. First I'll discuss my mother and go clockwise.

606B - Joyce (my mom)
Surgery - Left knee replacement
Other issues - Alzheimer's and other.
To some my mom probably sounds a little loony. Physically she's working her way to recovery (slowly). She's walking a bit more with her walker and doing her daily physio which is great. Her memory, however, was a little off yesterday. She was thinking things were falling on her or she was holding a book when she wasn't, seeing people in the room but had visited a couple days prior and was confused at where she was. It's not nice arguing with an Alzheimer patient, which I shouldn't and should just agree with her but when she persists that she has some pictures in the room and tells me to get them and I don't produce (cause they aren't there) its not nice. I know its the disease and not my mom and then she sighs and moves on shortly after. It's a good thing she forgets what she's been upset about....if only we carried a little Alzheimer's with us, eh?

606C - Marjory
Surgery - Broken hip
This women is a 90yr old women. She's so cute but I really do feel for her. Since I've spent almost a week at the hospital I've gotten to know the visitors in the room as well. Marjory has only had one visitor who isn't even a family member. The man that comes in has been assumed (by staff and myself) to be her son but apparently she doesn't have any family. Who this man is I'm not sure but he visits every day just as long as myself and just sits and holds her hand and that's it. Not much is said between them but they just hold hands. From where I sit, its quite touching.

606D - Chelsea
Surgery - none so far
Not sure what her issues are but she's a young mother of 3. She's younger than I am that's for sure but she spends most of her time sleeping or calling people to look after her children. Because she has slept so much I thought she had already had her surgery and I was surprised to learn she hadn't had it yet. Of course, when I learned that she had 3 kids I figured she was catching up on the lack of sleep young mothers get!!

606A - Gloria
Surgery - Hip
Other - The nurses call her 'Edna' (not sure why), I call her Miss Poopy Pants.
This woman has been in the room as long, if not longer, than my mom. I know more about this woman's hemorroids and bowel movements than anyone I know. She's not nice to the nurses either, quite rude and demanding. If she realized how much 'crap' the nurses (and others in the room) have to deal with her she'd be a little more sympathetic. I'm not sure why she's still there but I hope that she is moved to another room or something but I have a feeling my mom will be let out before her.

I must say, its good times in the hospital and I'm sure many stories could be written. Actually, yesterday when I took a little break from sitting I was walking around the admitting area and some cops brought in a guy wearing an orange jumpsuit and handcuffs. Not sure what reason he was there but I'm glad he didn't come to visit anyone in Ward 606.

No comments:

Post a Comment