Monday, October 19, 2009

Who is your Deborah?

I was in Bible class this past Sunday and the lesson was on Deborah and Barak (found in Judges 4 and 5). The discussion revolved around Deborah's role during the battle Barak and Deborah fought against King Hazor, a Canaanite King. I won't go into all the specifics of the story but I will suggest you read the story to hear it for the first time or to refresh your memory.

In Judges 4:6-8, Barak asks if Deborah will go with her and fight the war against Jabin's army even though Deborah told him that he would have victory over them. To Barak that wasn't enough and having Deborah's presence was more reassuring to him. She was his encouragement and his back-up. At the beginning of verse 9 she says to Barak that she would go with him and then marches with him and the ten thousand warriors.

I haven't really looked closely at this story or reflected on it but I appreciate and admire Deborah's character. She didn't just tell or direct Barak to conquer an army. Even though the Lord told her that Barak would have victory he still questioned and she supported him. She helped give him that extra nudge.

It made me think of who a 'back-up' is in my life. Who is it that supports me and gives me encouragement when I need it even though the Lord has a plan for me and wants the best for me. My first thought was my good friend Hope. She has always been my back-up. She reassures me, encourages me, challenges me and helps me when I have to tread down a path on my own. I appreciate and value our friendship and that she can be my strength when I am not feeling so strong. She can speak for me when I have no words left to speak.

So, who is your Deborah? Who will help you when you're down? Challenge you when you need to be held accountable or help carve you into the character God sees in you?

There are many others that have helped along the way but Hope specifically stands out to me. Yes, Hope/hope does.

1 comment:

  1. Oh....you're so sweet. You're mine too!

    KIDNEY STONE! (say it with the right accent)
    <3
    Hope

    ReplyDelete