Saturday, October 3, 2009

House Sitting Story #5

I was tempted to write this blog at the time of its actual occurance but I couldn't muster up the strength to explain the chaos around me. Well, chaos? I guess its subjective since now that I look back on it all is well.

This past summer....actually, let me back this up to March give or take a month. One Sunday morning Chris Bailey was walking past me on her way somewhere but asked me if I would be willing to housesit for them in July for the whole month. Seeing as she was on a mission somewhere and the first words out of my mouth when someone asks me a question is 'yes' that was my exact response. Then, of course, my hesitation creeps up after the toothpaste is out of the tube (me saying yes) and the memories flood back of all the incidences that have happened the last 4 out of 4 times while looking after someone's house.

I usually don't ask for details prior to committing to something because in my mind I'm thinking, 'they need me and I am available to help them out.' I'm sure I should discuss this matter with my therapist and get to the root of that issue but that's for another day....haha. Anyway, the Bailey's planned a trip to Africa for a month and since she was asking far enough in advance I thought that was thoughtful on her part. I did warn her of the fiasco's as of late but interestingly enough it didn't seem to bother her.

Needless to say I resided in their home for a month but I guess I did it so I can now write another housesitting story. Sigh. I've also come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter how long I stay at a place, it is just guaranteed that something will happen. It's only a matter of time. The event usually takes place close to when the owner is coming back home, I've discovered. Not sure if its a test to how I handle the stress of making sure everything is fine when really a tornado hit the place just moments before.

So, back to the story, my responsibilities at the Bailey home was to look after their two cats and Orin's ......ugh....snake! He was the scariest part of it considering I had to feed him a dead mouse and yet he was the least of my problems. One of the guidelines that Chris mentioned to me was that they recently had some stairs installed to their back deck. These aren't just a few steps stepping out into the backyard, this was a winding staircase so it was a flight of stairs. She also mentioned that the cats are indoor cats yet one of them (Dustbunny) would tend to head for the stairs and wander into the backyard.

Gosh, I didn't even know the cats name till the 'incident' happened. No offence but its not like I talked to it much while I was there and for sure didn't call it by name so there was no need for me to remember 'Dustbunny.' Coming from the other side of it now....I do. So, at some point during the hot sunny days, I decided to sit out on the back deck or cook dinner on the BBQ and that's when DB (Dustbunny) would attempt to go down the stairs. Following that would be me running after her/him (I don't know) and picking 'it' up to take it back inside. Now, me talking to a cat is like talking to brick wall in my opinion. What is the point? I tried to talk to it like a child and remind it that going down the stairs was a 'No-No'. Did it listen? NO! How many times do I have to say 'no' and you will listen. I felt like I was talking to some ex-boyfriends! haha

Well, it was near the end of my stay and the Baileys were due back home on the Monday. The Wednesday before I had used the BBQ and shut the back door but didn't lock it. I forgot that you needed to lock it for the door to stay shut as the latch wouldn't click on its own. Later that night (at 11pm) I was in the dining room on my laptop and needed to change the laundry, when I came back I noticed that the door to the deck was open. That dang cat got out!! Now, its 11pm and dark which it had just turned given setting sun so late....of all times, why at 11!! So, I ran down the stairs to see if I could find this white ball of furr and of course, no.

At first I wasn't too worried thinking it would come back right away or the next day. When it didn't show up the next day worry started to set in. How am I suppose to tell the family of my happenings? And my next thought was....'dumb cat'! Then, of course, my facebook friends were making it worse by saying that a coyote probably got it. Well, either way to me it was dead because if the coyote didn't get it and it came back I would've gotten it myself. Why do I let a cat get to me. A cat! I walked around the neighbourhood a few times with treats in my hands calling for it and nothing.

The one funny part was that I told a friend about my situation and his response was, 'You have a snake and two cats and one cat went missing? I'm no Sherlock Holmes but the first place I'd look is where the snake is!'

Anyway, I broke the news to the family and they seemed okay about it....or they were just playing it up so I didn't feel so bad. They came home, posted some flyers and sure enough the cat was across the street at a neighbours house. Dumb cat.

The crazy part of all of it is that they still want me to housesit again! I don't know how that works but knowing how I work....I'll probably sign myself up for another week or two of trouble. Next time though, the cat will be on a leash.

I would like to say this will be the last housesitting post but for some reason I doubt that is the case. Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment