Thursday, October 8, 2009

Church #5 - Elders

Typically when a church discusses the topic of elders what usually follows is a 6 week series on the role, requirements and other. I don't plan to go into full detail about all of this as some of you have participated in those 6 week sessions and may contemplate rolling your eyes at an indepth discussion. My approach, however, is to bring life to the topic or possibly even a different perspective. I think this role needs a fair shake and also the phrase of 'don't knock it till you've tried it.'

Before I start vomiting out my opinion or thoughts I challenge you to read up on such verses as Titus 1:5-9. Ya, that's right ....you'll have to break open that Bible of yours that we seem to only open once a week (hopefully more).

My purpose in writing about elders is that we, as a body of Christ's church, need to encourage them. We have appointed certain men in the congregation to be the shepherd of our flock. They are to lead us and be examples for us. When we select elders we spend weeks deciding on who has a list of the requirements listed in Titus and the wisdom to take on such a feat. After that we (collectively) spend time complaining to them or about them.

May I remind you (and myself) that this position is not a paid position. The elders take on this role because they do so with a loving heart. Because I've had the pleasure of working at the church I've had an opportunity to participate in Elder/Staff meetings. I've seen firsthand the commitment they have all made to not only on a Sunday morning time together but also actively participating in the meetings on a weekly basis. They have devoted time away from their own family to many hours - many hours to discuss the concerns of the church, the way it is heading, how to proceed and how to not offend.

Albeit some times I wish that the process for some matters would be faster than others but one thing I know for sure, the elders that I know and care about take careful/prayerful consideration before making one step or one announcement. I hope all our members understand and realize how much they care for our congregation. Some may, some may not.

If anything, our role should be that of encouragment like I mentioned earlier. In 1 Thessalonians 5:11 says, 'So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.' If we aren't doing this then we need to start. We know how we feel when we like to be encouraged so why wouldn't they feel the same with the extra weight of the concerns of the church on them as well.

I believe that if we build them up and support them and their decisions then it will be easier for them to make decisions on matters. I think that is half the battle. I can only assume that a porton of their concerns is wondering 'how the congregation will handle this or that'. Maybe we as a congregation should spend as much time to committing to prayer and careful consideration for our elders and Christ's church.

How much more productive will we be when we support each other in Christ's body?

No comments:

Post a Comment