Monday, October 5, 2009

Ways to wake up in the morning

This morning I was on my way to work and I was on a side street turning left onto a busy street. The traffic was really busy heading the direction I needed to go so I was waiting patiently till there was a break. At this point I was still in my quiet mode after just waking up and was at least alert. Thankfully, or the events that were about to happen would've ruined me for who knows how long.

I'm not sure why but a City of Calgary truck driver decided he needed to take a left onto the street I was waiting at. Granted, its fair that he can choose to drive wherever he may, however, the clincher is that he had a large bed attached to the back of him and it was VERY long. As soon as I saw what was about to happen (him taking a left), my first thought was 'man, this guy is going to need some of my driving space to take this tight turn.' With that thought I started to back up so he could sneak in there but the more I backed up the closer his bed got to the front end of my car. The only way for me to stop the driver from proceeding was to slam on my horn to let him know that he was about to (literally) drive over my vehicle. As much as my vehicle is an SUV I totally think that truck could've ridden over me!

All of it was happening so fast and with me driving backward without looking where I was going because I was so busy making sure he didn't hit me I ended up on the sidewalk! Another thought going through my head was my trip to Ontario flashing before me and not being able to go because of this accident.

Thankfully there was no one walking on the sidewalk where my car was now parked or a lamp post or even a car was in my way. I would've been hooped!! My heart was beating SO fast and thankfully no one was hurt but I had to take a few moments to collect myself before proceeding on my way. Also, the driver stopped and get out of his truck to see if he did anything. At that point I realized that he could've hit me and not known otherwise. I wasn't upset at him I was just worked up a little and told him everything was fine.

I'm sure there are more pleasant ways to wake up in the morning but this happened to be the events of today. May you never have to wake up like I did today!!

1 comment:

  1. Yowzers! That's scary... probably woke him up a little bit too. I'm pretty sure I know where you're referring to and that's a scary little intersection for that very reason. Glad you're okay.
    Nicola

    ReplyDelete